Friday, February 3, 2017

The Grand Tour Season 1 Review



Let me preface this by stating that I have an undying love for Top Gear (2002-2015). I am SO pleased that seasons 2-17 have appeared here on Amazon, as that is where I have gravitated towards after the viewing (putting up with) half of the first season of the train wreck (car wreck?) that is The Grand Tour.

I love the chemistry between Jeremy, Richard, and James. I love the creative cinematography and the beautiful sound design of the car testing segments of this show. It just seems to fall apart whenever we cut back to the tent and the boys (Jezza) have to see who's penis is bigger. Seriously?! This crap would have never made it onto the BBC (thank you, Censors), and I'm appalled at the trash that makes it onto this show. Granted, this is not broadcast TV where they have to adhere to strict content and ratings guidelines, but honestly, I believe that those constraints made the Boys more creative, and certainly more funny. Yes, the innuendos were still there on the BBC, they just had to be more creative in the way that it was executed. On The Grand Tour, it's blatant. It's in your face. The show is self-indulgent to the point where all it's worthwhile substance has been lost.

The American driver is a waste of everybody's time. Drop him for Season 2 and buy The Stig from the BBC. You know you want to. Take a pay-cut if you have to make it happen (looking at you, Jezza, Mr. Wilman). The "celebrity brain crash" segment was old in the first episode. We get it already. And no, James, that means they're not coming on the show.

I wanted SO badly to be able to enjoy this show with my family like I used to enjoy Top Gear, but I'm embarrassed to even watch it with my wife. Get your act together and grow up.

Your loyal fans (of which I was one) deserve better.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic show love it :) Better and bigger then Top Gear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just applied for this too http://www.wowfreestuff.co.uk/free-grand-tour-tickets/, to get free tickets to go see it live, so exciting x

    ReplyDelete